I’ve been meaning to make these forever, but just got around to it this weekend!
I really wanted to buy the frozen banana bites I saw at Trader Joe’s, but then I noticed they have palm oil in them. While technically palm oil is vegan because it’s from a plant, I’m still trying to avoid it because the harvest of palm fruit to make the oil destroys the habitat of many animals, including the orangutans. If you want to read more about it (because it’s more than habitat destruction that’s going on; it’s truly sad and horrific) check out the Say No to Palm Oil website or just google “orangutans and palm oil,” to find more info.
So, Trader Joe’s use of palm oil inspired me to make my own banana bites!
2 ripe bananas, sliced
1 cup of trader joe’s chocolate chips (they’re vegan!)
2 tablespoons of coconut oil (I use organic coconut oil from Trader Joe’s, but any will do! Heads UP though: it’s cheaper at the store than online)
1. Slice the bananas and put them in the freezer until they’re frozen. I left mine in for about 90 minutes.
2. While they’re in the freezer, put one cup of chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil on top and microwave for 30 seconds. Microwaves vary, so adjust accordingly.
3. Carefully remove the bowl, stir, and then put back in your microwave. I cooked it for an additional 15 seconds.
4. Carefully remove, and stir again. By this point, mine were completely melted. Hopefully yours will be too! Set aside to cool until it’s about room temperature.
5. Get a piece of parchment paper ready for your banana bites and put it on a tray or plate that will fit in your freezer! I ran out of parchment paper, so I used my bamboo chopping board, and let me tell ya, the chocolate stuck to it, so don’t do what I did lol!
6. Gently dip each frozen banana piece into the melted chocolate. I set each banana piece on a fork, and dunked it in to fully coat. Then gently place them on the parchment paper. You’ll notice something pretty cool happening! Coconut oil added to chocolate creates a nice “shell” on the bananas! If your bananas are frozen enough, you’ll notice it happening instantly!
7. If you want to make them extra yummy, add a dab of peanut butter, or almond butter, to the top of the banana before you dip it in the chocolate! SO delicious. I made a few with peanut butter, and they came out fantastic!
8. When you’re done dipping all of your banana slices, place them in the freezer for 1-2 hours (if you can wait that long – I couldn’t!), and enjoy!
A few more cool things:
1) If you have left over melted chocolate, mix it up with some peanut butter and toss it in the fridge for a quick, vegan snack! I only had about 1/4th of a jar of peanut butter left, so I just poured the chocolate into the peanut butter jar and stired. When you’re craving a reese’s peanut butter cup, just grab a spoonful of this stuff! Delicious!
2) If you’re not already doing so, come follow My Vegan Journal, along with over 50,000 “fans” on Facebook! Or Twitter or Pinterest! You can also stay in the loop with all the vegan scoop on the My Vegan Journal email list!
And now… I’m going to wash my hands and my keyboard. Chocolate everywhere! But well worth it!
Have a beautiful day, everyone!
Jackie Day, Author of the new book The Vegan Way: 21 Days to a Happier, Healthier Plant-Based Lifestyle That Will Transform Your Home, Your Diet, and You (St. Martin’s Press / Macmillan)